Sunday Stealing: The Generic Meme
1. What did you want to be when you were little? An archeologist like I saw on 3-2-1 Contact. I imagined I’d have a typewriter in my tent and spend my evening writing books.
2. Would you prefer to have a large group of friends, or a small group of friends? Why? I’ve only ever had a few friends and I do prefer more intimate relationships with fewer people. I wouldn’t mind having a wider group of people to hang out with, but I’m basically an introvert.
3. What is your fashion “style”? Or what type of clothes do you wear on a daily basis? I’ve been thinking on a name for my style. “Whimsical Feminine Geek” or “Whimsical Girly Geek” if I’m feeling less sophisticated.
4. If you could live anywhere where would you live? I’m awfully happy here, but I would consider Atlanta. If money for living and travel was no object, I’d go back to Hawaii. I loved living there in sixth and seventh grade. It’s where I’d love to be in the winter, that’s for sure.
5. What is your biggest hope for the next year? Nothing major: Only to make significant progress in bettering both my physical and mental health.
6. When you pass by reflective surfaces do you check yourself out? Yes. I think it’s important to have a realistic body image and seeing ones reflection along with pictures of oneself is necessary for that goal.
7. Favorite genre of movie as well as TV show? Science fiction is my favorite genre of everything.
8. Top favorite books? (limit of 5) Only five?!? We’ll go with these in order of their appearance in my life. Each is important to who I am as a person (affiliate links, BTW):
9. Have you ever taken a cooking class? Not unless you count obsessively watching and re-watching episodes of Good Eats since the early seasons of the show. Now, I get my Alton Brown fix following him on Twitter.
10. What three words would you use to describe yourself? My shorthand bio I used all over the internet is these three words: Nerd. Geek. Dork.
11. Favorite animal? As a pet, cats are the only animal I’d want. As overall favorite, I find the animal kingdom too varied and fascinating to pick just one, but I tend to be more attracted to mammals as they have the most to teach us about what it means to be human. This is especially true of the great apes.
12. What is your dream job? Blogger. Add various adjectives like personal, lifestyle and crafty. I wouldn’t mind selling some words elsewhere or some handmade goods, too.
13. If you could go back in history to any moment that you did not live, what would it be and why? I’d want to experience something like seeing Queen perform at Live at Wembley in 1986 or meet Issac Asimov and hear him speak at some sci-fi book event.
14. If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Why? Teleportation. If I could send myself and anyone I was holding hands with anywhere in the world, I’d save myself daily commutes and be able to visit far flung friends and loved ones any time I like.
15. What is your favorite movie? You know, I don’t have a favorite movie of all time. Too many movies and too much “apples to oranges” comparisons. Two movies I consider utterly perfect are The Princess Bride and Office Space.
16. What is your best childhood memory? Hard question. Childhood is about twelve years long and I remember eight of them pretty well. As I’ve been thinking about it, I would have to say the first time I remember spending time in the deep end of a big swimming pool. I was in first grade and they were busing us from school to the YMCA pool for a week of swimming lessons. Prior to that, I’d been in the ocean and we had a kiddy pool in the back year. I remember being totally submerged under the water with water above, below and around me on all sides. The feeling of weightlessness and yet being completely supported by the water is one of my favorite feelings in the whole world to this day.
17. What is your favorite part about blogging? Having my own little corner of the internet to do with what I wish, but also to do so in full sight of anyone with an internet connection. I find the whole thing rather empowering.
18. What is your favorite quote? I’m a bit of a quote junkie, but I can’t seem to go wrong with this wisdom of the great Dr. Seuss I strive to live by:
19. What song do you feel like describes your life the best? Why? My current play-on-repeat for inspiration song is my beloved Professor Elemental’s tune Let’s Get It Done. It’s about the excitement of creativity and making ART happen. The line in the beginning about “I want a song that sounds like fuckin’ rainbows shooting into my ears and exploding in a wave of joy” speaks to me. Even through I’m not a musician, I want my artistic endeavors to produce those same results. I want what I make to sparkle and shine. It’s my goal when I get dressed in the morning and in my cooking along with actual projects. I think I nailed it with my Christmas wreath.
20. Would you describe yourself as shy or outgoing? Both. I love talking to people, but I am deeply self conscious.