1) Which do you prefer: colored hard-boiled eggs, chocolate marshmallow eggs, or plastic eggs with coins inside? Chocolate marshmallow eggs sound good, but I don’t like Cadbury creame eggs if that’s what we are talking about. I love hard-boilded eggs chopped up on a salad or in some good egg salad.
2) What’s your favorite color of Peeps (yellow, purple, or pink)? I like yellow because chicks aren’t really purple or pink. Yet I used to color my dinosaurs all manner of bright Crayola colors as a child under the assumption we didn’t *really* know what their skin looked like.
3) All this talk of sweets is making Sam hungry. What’s for lunch? It’s cold and rainy so I’m considering putting some Lentil Soup on if I have all the ingredients. I use Alton Brown’s recipe except I use half lentils, half split peas. I might make some mashed cauliflower with caramelized onions to serve it over.
4) This song was introduced by country singer Gene Autry and it’s still a favorite. Please share some of the lyrics. (And you’re on your own; Sam didn’t include a link to the song this week.) I had to look it up. I’ve heard it but it wasn’t a traditional part of Easter or anything. Okay, I’ll be honest, we didn’t do anything more for Easter than we did for Halloween when I was growing up. Here’s a link Sam omitted.
5) Gene Autry was so popular that a town in Oklahoma named itself for him. Have you ever been to Oklahoma? It is one of very few states I haven’t been at least been through.
6) In addition to singing, Mr. Autry made 93 cowboy movies. What’s the last movie you saw? Captain America: The Winter Solider. It was good, but I find myself less excited over this round of Marvel movies. The first set left me leaving the theater all pumped up.
7) He and his horse Champion also had a TV show. Can you name another famous horse? Twilight Sparkle?
8) Gene Autry also recorded “Rudolph, The Red Nosed Reindeer,” and it was, of course, wildly popular, too. Who is your favorite recording artist? Favorite of all time? Impossible! These days, I’m really digging Lorde. Although I haven’t got her whole album, those singles haunt me with their mellow vibe and her smooth voice.
9) Back to the holiday celebration at hand — Easter is considered the season of rebirth. What leaves you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated? Meditation. Where had this simply yet powerful practice been all my life? Cannot recommend Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World enough. (That’s an affiliate link, BTW.) In a few minutes a day, I get so much peace I didn’t know it was possible to possess. The book is decidedly practical with not a hint of spiritualism or magical thinking. I went in as an experiment and have come out believe mindfulness is “brain software hack” to reduce stress and gain perspective it’s not possible to internalize intellectually.